Wednesday, September 30, 2009

SOAP: strong hands


S - Thus says the LORD of hosts: "Let your hands be strong... that the temple might be built... Fear not, but let your hands be strong... These are the things that you shall do: Speak the truth to one another; render in your gates judgments that are true and make for peace; do not devise evil in your hearts against one another, and love no false oath, for all these things I hate, declares the LORD... The inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, 'Let us go at once to entreat the favor of the LORD and to seek the LORD of hosts; I myself am going.' — Zechariah 8:9, 13, 16-17, 21 (ESV)

O - God speaks plainly to his people through Zechariah, "Listen, I'm not asking for anything new. The new thing is that you will do it."

A - I wonder how much this decision really falls to the next generation. We only see and act as a dim reflection of the beauty and light of our God and His Kingdom. The next generation can be discouraged by the previous generation's "dimness," or they can learn and set their hands to the work for their resplendent King.

P - Lord, let my hands be strong. Let me not fear. Oh that truth would be on my lips, wisdom in my mind, and grace in my heart. May your name be honored in the city, and may many come searching for you because of your people.

No comments: