Monday, September 28, 2009

SOAP: pointing the way


S - If you will walk in my ways and keep my charge, then you shall rule my house and have charge of my courts, and I will give you the right of access among those who are standing here... In that day, declares the LORD of hosts, every one of you will invite his neighbor to come under his vine and under his fig tree. — Zechariah 3:6, 10 (ESV)

O - Joshua stands between Satan and an angel before God. God silences Satan, and turns to Joshua. God has plans to restore His house and people through Joshua. He needs Joshua to not make the mistakes of the past. Instead, he is to keep (care for, preserve, and obey) God's commandments and complete the task of rebuilding the temple. God even gave him friends to help prepare and point the way to Jesus, when everyone will graciously invite their neighbors to share in the blessings of God.

A - It's hard to ignore the similar state of the church. It seems many churches have been in "waiting"... for the "old days," perhaps. Could it be that God has brought up a new batch of men, like Joshua and his friends, to prepare and point the world to Jesus? Of course! I want to be like those men. Pointing the way to Jesus.

P - Father, your plans are good. I'm sorry for our forgetfulness and faithlessness. For the sake of your name, for I and your church bear it, have mercy on us. Help us rebuild like in the days after the Exile. May your church be grander and grander as time goes on! I can't wait for when it will be the pure and spotless bride you deserve!

No comments: