Wednesday, September 23, 2009

SOAP: kind to the ungrateful


S - But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you... And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. — Luke 6:27-28, 31 (ESV)

O - Jesus lays out the blessings of the Kingdom, and warns of the false security of this world. His encouragement, and command, to those stirred or shaken by his words is to love. Love those not easy to love. Love those who wish to harm you. Love those who speak ill of you. Love those who take advantage of you or hurt you. Live towards others as you would want them to live towards you. This is a scary charge, if one forgets about the love and care of God, "for he is kind to the ungrateful and evil."

A - It's easy for me to think I am wise in my own eyes. Like I have all I need on my own. I'm glad I can still be shaken by Jesus' words. He exposes where I have not built my life on him. I must learn to love as God does. I struggle to be kind to people who don't give back in return, or are just meaning to take advantage of me.

P - Lord, help me learn to be as gracious as you. Help me "be wise as serpents and innocent as doves." I want to be innocent enough to be kind, and wise enough to trust your love and care.

No comments: