Monday, September 21, 2009

SOAP: counting on you


S - The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread." And Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone.'"... (the devil) said to him, "To you I will give all this authority and their glory..." And Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.'"... (the devil) said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here... And Jesus answered him, "It is said, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'" — Luke 4:3-4, 6, 8, 9, 12 (ESV)

O - The devil tempts Jesus to take care of himself, seek his own authority and glory (versus the Father's), and to take matters into his own hands. These attacks come against Jesus' identity, his dependency as a human, and the character of God. When his sonship and provision are challenged, Jesus reminds the devil, and us, that we cannot just look to the physical and the immediate to solve our problems. Instead, there is an invitation to trust God and his promises. When offered authority (independence) and glory, Jesus reminds us to stand in awe of a truly powerful God and to do whatever we can to magnify his goodness. When God's faithfulness and goodness are challenged, Jesus reminds us that God has brought us this far, surly he will continue to bring us the rest of the way.

A - Having a third child in the midst of having no job certainly feels like a desert. I am confident of your leading here. I heard you say I should follow the Elders lead. I heard you say I should wait for your provision. So here I am in the desert. Tempted to take things into my own hands, feeble though they may be. Your angels have to help me from really wrecking myself, right? You have reminded me of my sonship. Your faithful Fatherhood. You have brought miraculous provision. You and your plans for us are good. I will trust in them. I hear an invitation to Sabbath rest. Time with you. Family. No work. Acts of service. Healing. Prayer. Play. Eating. Laughing. Singing. Dreaming. Hoping. Remembering. Forgiving.

P - Lord, I'm counting on you. For life. Intimacy. Food. Shelter. Health. I've really got nothing without you.

No comments: