Thursday, August 20, 2009

SOAP: shadows of pride


S - But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin... But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. — 1 John 1:7, 9 (NLT)

O - We can trust this, it comes straight from Jesus. God's light is revealing, powerful, humbling, and healing. The door into this light, into the loving Kingdom of God, is confession. Admitting and agreeing with God about our brokenness and deep need for him. Otherwise we will run from the piercing nature of his light, and hide in the shadows of pride.

A - I don't think God is going to let me get away with thinking I can do anything without Him. Here is an invitation to walk out of the shadows of pride and cry, "I need you!"

P - God, I have my plans for the day... but I've learned how futile those are. So, as I clean the playroom, pack for camping, meet with friends, pray for your direction and healing, have dinner with friends, and pursue Rebecca and the kids... I need you! When things don't go as planned... I need you! When I get full of myself and think I can do it on my own... I need you! When old habits and hurts crop up... I need you!

No comments: