Wednesday, August 26, 2009

SOAP: our forgotten home


S - “In those coming days,” says the Lord, “the people of Israel will return home together with the people of Judah. They will come weeping and seeking the Lord their God. They will ask the way to Jerusalem and will start back home again. They will bind themselves to the Lord with an eternal covenant that will never be forgotten." — Jeremiah 50:4-5 (NLT)

Sometimes a verse stands out, but it is confusing, repulsive, or I just don't want to focus on it. Today this was the case. So hear was my prayer after writing down these verses:

Lord I felt these verses were for me, but I wanted to leave them... I like the idea of returning home... but maybe one can't go "home" like I am thinking about it... I don't like weeping, and feel tired about seeking... here is where I need strength...

O - God's people have been warned, afflicted, and exiled because of their unfaithfulness. Other powers (nations) have surpassed them. Defeated them. Infected (influenced) them. But God is awaiting their homecoming. When Babylon meets its inevitable end, God sees the return of His people. Their false religion and secular (without God) living will have been exposed and run its course. In the midst of their pain and sorrow they will no longer seek forms or man, but will turn to God. Weeping. Seeking. Coming. Lost, and needing direction to their forgotten home.

A - It's time to be done with false religion and secular living. Its time to weep over my lostness and ask the Lord for the way home.

P - Lord, show me the way. Thank you for your Kingdom come, your angels, your children, your saints already with you, and most of all for your perfect Son. They mark the straight path towards the life you have planned for me. They hem me in on both sides. They raise up hedges of protection around me and my family. They remind us of our forgotten home. Today we set out for home.

1 comment:

josh said...

you are not alone in your journey friend. never alone :)