Monday, August 17, 2009

SOAP: authentic leadership


S - If they had stood before me and listened to me, they would have spoken my words, and they would have turned my people from their evil ways and deeds... You should keep asking each other, ‘What is the Lord’s answer?’ or ‘What is the Lord saying?’ But stop using this phrase, ‘prophecy from the Lord.’ For people are using it to give authority to their own ideas, turning upside down the words of our God, the living God, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. —Jeremiah 23:22, 35-36 (NLT)

O - How easy it is for "spiritual" leaders to be people pleasers and use God's name to validate their opinions. God challenges Israel's leaders to change their words, spend time with Him, and look at the results of their leadership.

"How have you used me to promote your agenda and comfort?"

"Is what you're saying coming from a relationship with me?"

"Are you just 'idea-swapping' with people?"

"Are people changed?"

"Do those who follow you naturally turn from sin?"

"Are you careful and thoughtful in submitting to my Word?"

"Does your leadership reflect a dependence on a living, good, and able God?"

A - These are hard questions... I'm fearful, sorry, and encouraged in response to them. In being exposed, I feel free.

P - Lord, I hear your warning to test my "ideas" about what you say. With Rebecca. With Spiritual Fathers. With those who listen to you.

No comments: