Monday, August 31, 2009

SOAP: a call to rebuild


S - O people of Israel, these prophets of yours are like jackals digging in the ruins. They have done nothing to repair the breaks in the walls around the nation. They have not helped it to stand firm in battle on the day of the Lord... You bring shame on me among my people for a few handfuls of barley or a piece of bread. By lying to my people who love to listen to lies, you kill those who should not die, and you promise life to those who should not live... You have discouraged the righteous with your lies, but I didn’t want them to be sad. And you have encouraged the wicked by promising them life, even though they continue in their sins. — Ezekiel 13:4-5, 19, 22 (NLT)

O - The religious leaders were digging in the ruins of Jerusalem to make sure they had what they "needed." They weren't helping make things as God wanted them to be for the sake of everyone. This is a rebuke of selfish leadership, and a reminder of the active servant leadership God desires. Their selfishness is the evidence of the origin of their message and leadership. God's message and leadership rebuilds for the sake of others. It comforts the righteous and discomforts the wicked. Godly leaders get in the fray on behalf of God and others and stand firm.

A - I am reminded that God is calling me to lead and shepherd my family first, then his people.

P - How does this apply to leading my family Jesus?

digging in the ruins for what you want, or rebuilding the walls for others

What are the "walls" of our family that need rebuilding?

Prayer, Service, Community, Outreach

Thank you for teaching me how to pray for my family in your authority. Thank you for stirring my heart to serve them. Help me listen to my kids. Help me be present to Rebecca. Thank you for moving us toward gospel centered community. Help us know what steps to take. How to fight for it. How to preserve it. How to keep going when its awkward, hard, or distasteful. Thank you for stirring my heart more and more for others. Help my unbelief that I can assure them of your offer of life, lasting and full life, today. Keep me from the temptation of rebuilding (or building) other walls before taking care of my family. You are a gracious God to offer us this time. May you be honored with it.

No comments: