Sunday, August 17, 2008

SOAP: the word of god, the word of men


S. Let the prophets who have dreams tell their dreams, but let the one who has my word speak it faithfully . . . "Is not my word like fire," declares the LORD, "and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces? . . . "Therefore," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who steal from one another words supposedly from me . . . But you must not mention 'a message from the LORD' again, because everyone's own word becomes a message from God. So you distort the words of the living God, the LORD Almighty, our God. - Jeremiah 23:28, 29, 30, 36 (TNIV)

O. God has some harsh words for the prophets and priests. It has become their practice to marvel at each others dreams, words, and ideas. They go on repeating these dreams, words, and ideas to anyone who will listen. Clearly they had an audience. These were words the people welcomed and praised them for. God's words have a specific result; it is a fire and hammer to the stubborn hearts of people.

A. Jesus, how are my words? Am I speaking what you talk to me about? Or do I simply repeat the dreams, words, and ideas of others? It is certainly tempting to re-use the words of other pastors. They range from simple, wise, powerful, to unique. They certainly sound good and seem to be helpful. Even my own words sound pretty good from time to time. I want to speak your words and teach your Word. I hear Jesus asking me to "turn now, each of you" . . . in other words, follow through on the time of personal revival so that I would be certain where my strength, words, and actions come from.

P. Here we go Jesus. I want to make a renewed commitment to Prayer, Purity, and Purpose. Help me Jesus in my unbelief. Continue to correct and discipline me through your word.

No comments: