Tuesday, August 19, 2008

SOAP: seek life


S. Should you then seek great things for yourself? Do not seek them. For I will bring disaster on all people, declares the LORD, but wherever you go I will let you escape with your life. - Jeremiah 45:5 (TNIV)

O. Baruch wants to find rest and take root. Following God has worn him out. God reminds him that the world is not as it should be. There is a call to not get comfortable or invest too much in the things of this world for its all going to end (kingdoms, governments, people groups, cities, homes, farms, the very mountains and trees). God's promise is that Baruch will live and escape the end of all things. "Don't get entangled with this world!"

A. How am I entangled? How am I seeking "great things" for myself? What did Baruch want? How did he get entangled? I want more press, more security, more praise, more ease, more pleasure . . . I hear Jesus calling me to seek life. Seek the things that will last. Seek first his kingdom!

P. Jesus purify my desires. Expose what I am seeking. Help me to really live!

No comments: