Friday, August 29, 2008

SOAP: remember and obey


S. Then in the nations where they have been carried captive, those who escape will remember me—how I have been grieved by their adulterous hearts, which have turned away from me, and by their eyes, which have lusted after their idols. They will loathe themselves for the evil they have done and for all their detestable practices. - Ezekiel 6:9 (TNIV)

O. God longs for his people to remember him. He yearns for them to turn before everything gets as bad as it possibly can. In their comfortable lives they have neglected God. God invites Ezekiel to be uncomfortable (literally laying on one side 390 days, then flipping to the other for 40) in the midst of a comfortable nation. God invites Ezekiel to ration his food when he is surrounded by abundance. Ezekiel remembers and obeys.

A. Is my obedience a function of my ability to remember God? When surrounded by a culture of comfort and rights, will I literally lay down my comfort and rights to obey God? I hear Jesus inviting me to remember his faithfulness in order to prepare my heart to naturally obey him in difficult times.

P. God help me recall what you have done... You made the stars, You walked with us in the garden, You saved us from our violence, You called out a people to show us your goodness, You were faithful to them when they were unfaithful, You sent your Son, our Savior, our King, our Master, You sent your Spirit to inhabit your people, You left no one out, You have been refining your Bride (the Church), You chose for me to be born, You knew me before I was born, You gave me a family who sought to honor you, You gave me faith at a young age, You gave me godly examples of daily faith, You called me to serve, You gifted me to encourage, You saved me from my sin, You are changing my heart and my habits, You sent an earthquake, You healed Rebecca, You showed me the helmet of salvation, You have spoken prophetically, You are leading me through the valley of death in my heart, You have blessed me with children, You have been faithful to bless me in my work, and the journey goes on into eternity... Lord, help me obey.

No comments: