Thursday, April 10, 2008

SOAP: sphere of service


S - 2 Corinthians 10:13, 18
We, however, will not boast beyond proper limits, but will confine our boasting to the sphere of service God himself has assigned to us, a sphere that also includes you . . . For it is not those who commend themselves who are approved, but those whom the Lord commends.

1 Samuel 10:7
Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you.

O - Paul is so sure of himself. It drives me nuts. He is clear that God has assigned him to a particular sphere of people, influence, and ministry. He doesn't try to grab on to anything that's not been given to him by God. What patience and assurance this kind of life must take.

Saul, the King, is free to do what pleases him after his encounters with God which change his heart. Such specific instruction, followed by an opened journey with God.

A - Sometimes I want specific directions from God. Sometimes I want to be free to pursue what I want. Perhaps the truth is that when I am sure of God's assignment for me I am free to pursue as my hand finds stuff to do?

P - What sphere have you assigned me?

San Jose and the World. Make disciples.

Lord I know I seek others' affirmation and approval. And I commend myself to others, often. Help me stop!

Are there signs to be fulfilled in my life before I am released to do what you have assigned for me to do?

Yes, they are all around . . .

That scares me.

(I ran away from God by closing my journal at this point.)

No comments: