Wednesday, April 2, 2008

SOAP: the lost days


S - . . .

O - I get really bummed when I miss days of SOAP. My first feelings are ones of guilt and longing. I want to catch up on what has been happening to God's people (in this case some of the Judges). I want to be able to check off those chapters. I revisit this feeling often, but this time I noticed something else. A thought came to mind, "What if my longing for 'catching up' is more about missing God's Story with me than the chapters of the Bible?" I was stricken with grief. How much more significant is the time lost with God than the lost time of reading?

A - I want to uncover the deeper longings of my heart and not settle for the ones that are easy to see. Desire for religious activity. Desire to be listened to. Desire to be touched. Desire to be full. Desire to be comfortable. These mask the deeper longing of my heart to be dependent on God. He is the one I am longing for. The days are not lost. I am lost. I need Jesus. I hear Jesus saying, "seek first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added to you."

P - Thank you Jesus for exposing the truth behind my feelings when I am not satisfied with religious behavior, etc. Help me keep you in view today. Help me seek you when the feelings of longing for things and people rise to the surface. I love you for being so faithful, understanding, and caring.

No comments: