Monday, April 7, 2008

SOAP: contaminates of body and spirit


S - 1 Corinthians 7:1, 10
Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God . . . Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

O - God's promises include being with us, being sovereign, calling us out of death into life, receiving us with open arms, and being a Father to us. Paul encourages us to look at what contaminates our body and spirit in light of these promises which assure us of God's good plan for us. Sorrow and grief over our sin and brokenness will be a part of life. The question is, what does it produce? Am I willing to let go of feelings that lead to death just as Paul asks us to do with thoughts that are not from the Spirit (Rom. 8:5-6).

A & P - Jesus, speak. Your servant wants to listen . . .

Look at the sorrow of these last months. Has it brought repentance and life, or death and despair?

Mostly death and despair.

You are captive by a spirit of sorrow which does not lead to life. It distracts you from putting aside your wicked ways, but draws you closer to the things that seem immediately satisfying. These are empty things which do not bring life, but only more worldly sorrow.


How can I begin to partner with you?

Cling to my promises. The beloved of the Lord rest secure! You are my beloved. I want the best for you. It grieves me to watch you be captive to the things that bring about death.

Jesus, what about these guys that preach if I don't hate my sin then I am not saved.

Does the sorrow you experience lead to repentance? Do you love shortcuts over the real thing?

No. They are just easier to come by.

Yes, then rest secure in me. I will take care of you. You can count on me to satisfy you. Your disappointments can draw you to reflect on how that area of your life was not resting secure on me. Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest for your souls.

Yes Lord. I want that kind of rest. What am I to do with these next moments of the day.

Enjoy my provision. Eat, drink, and be merry. Let my creation and its creativity minister to you. I will lead you through the rest of the day.

No comments: