Monday, November 2, 2009

SOAP: word & power


S - Jesus said to them, "Is this not the reason you are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God?" — Mark 12:24 (ESV)

O - The Sadducees were trying to trick and catch Jesus. They ask a tricky question about marriage and the resurrection. It sounds like they are saying, "Jesus, I would believe you, IF you can explain..." Jesus points out the real problem they face is not their question, but that they don't know God. They don't know him through his revelation or his power, so any question will only be handled from their limited perspective and not really reach them where they need it.

A - Isn't this how I, and so many others, keep God at a distance. "Okay God, I will believe in/trust you, IF you can explain or show me..." We need our questions about life, justice, goodness, etc. answered. We want it to fit in our view. However, the answer is knowing God, the Creator of it all. God doesn't fit in any of our nice little views. The reality of God means I'm going to have to change. So we ignore what God offers us, Himself, through his word and his power.

P - Lord, help me know you more. Your word. Your power. I am so use to viewing the world through my "little view." That view has been blown up. I don't want to look to anything, or anyone else, but you for purpose, order, and value. I don't want to put you in a box and miss out on any of you. Thank you for your church and the way they invite me to know more of you.

No comments: