Friday, November 6, 2009

SOAP: children of promise


S - Is the law then contrary to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could give life, then righteousness would indeed be by the law. But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe... So, brothers, we are not children of the slave but of the free woman. — Galatians 3:21-22; 4:31 (ESV)

O - The OT is about grace and faith. How did I miss this before? It was always about God's promise to offer a gracious sacrifice for the penalty of sin that we could never pay. It was about graciously giving life to those who believed God. God never wanted people enslaved to performance and ritual. He wanted to help people be humble, contrite, and faithful.

A - There is a lot of thinking that needs to be changed. I realize, though saying the "right" words (perhaps) about the OT, that I have totally missed it. This is such good news. We are not children of the law, but children of the promise. This motivates me in new ways... I'm not totally sure how, but the day is brighter because of God and his Word.

P - God, I'm sorry for how I missed it. You've been about the same stuff. The gospel has been the same all along. Your grace has been the same all along. I'm just trusting you to be you. Thank you for your promises. Thank you that I can be a child of those promises. I want to help others see you for who you actually are.

No comments: