Thursday, November 5, 2009

SOAP: grace & truth


S - To them we did not yield in submission even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you... for he who worked through Peter for his apostolic ministry to the circumcised worked also through me for mine to the Gentiles. — Galatians 2:5, 8 (ESV)

O - Preserve the gospel from those who would add to it. God works through different people in different ways to accomplish his gospel purposes. Paul confronted Peter for his "floppy" living of the gospel, but then also affirms Peter's call to advance the gospel.

A - There is a careful balance here... if balance is the right word. Preserve the gospel, but don't wreck other people's calling from God. This is a pretty cool reminder. It fits right in with the grace that Galatians is all about.

P - Lord, thanks for teaching me in such a timely way. I need to hear about your grace. I need it. I need to offer it to others. I also need to hear about how important your gospel is. It's good news. It's something in particular and we can't make it whatever we want it to be. I need you grace and truth. Help me live it solidly.

No comments: