Tuesday, March 18, 2008

SOAP: my weakness, kingdom power


S - 1 Corinthians 2:2-5
For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God's power.

O - Paul was a gifted, disciplined, decorated, educated, and successful guy. Yet he chose to lay these things aside (see Jesus) in order for the Corinthians to see clearly God's kingdom/power at work. His heart was not for personal credit or admiration (though he defended the authority entrusted to him by Jesus). He was dedicated to God's glory.

A - How often are my actions about proving or showing my giftedness, discipline, education and success? Will I forgo being noticed or recognized for God's glory? I hear Jesus saying, "Trust me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of other people by not drawing attention to yourself or your 'strengths.'"

P - Lord help me honor you as good, powerful, and wise in my relationships, work, play, and everyday life. As I head to umpiring I know I carry your name. Help me not cling to my authority through exercising my "strength." Instead give me a humble heart and a willingness to serve that my light may shine before men that they would honor you.

NOTE: I then had one of the most humiliating games I have ever umpired. Traffic, along with a crammed day, made me arrive just in time. Flustered, I needed help from my field umpire to make some pretty simple calls and a couple corrections by the scorekeeper on the count. I was grateful for this prayer time before I had this experience. While I knew I was being humbled I had a peace about it and things did not get out of control (as the "should" have done). God is so faithful to speak directly into the moments of our lives that even umpiring can be a burning bush experience.

No comments: