Sunday, March 16, 2008

SOAP: how is your heart?


S - Matthew 6:21
For where your treasure is, there your heart is also.

I have been avoiding this truth all week . . .

O - Jesus has shaken things up in the Sermon on the Mount. He has changed how we think life with God is supposed to work . . . instead of for the select few, everybody matters and everybody is in. He has revealed what a Kingdom heart looks like . . . a more whole and powerful person that we have ever dreamed we could be. He has undermined our preconceptions about how to receive such a heart/life . . . it won't be through "religious" or "public" acts. Now in these verses Jesus turns his attention to our current condition. "How is your heart?" He asks. "What, or who, are you counting on?" In the midst of these deep questions he is understanding and tender towards our worries about this life. Willard says that these treasures Jesus speaks of "are the thing which we place value on."

A - I, most often, "feel" I can only count on myself. I place value on the things that make me "feel" satisfied. I want to not be led by my feelings about what I have placed value on or have counted on for my care. I want this kind of life which is eternal in quality and never-ending in quantity. It is anchored in God's reality of love, peace, and joy. He will care for and bless me. I don't want to ignore how my heart is doing for it is the wellspring of life.

P - Help me God to pay better attention to my heart. I want to be present to your care and blessing, which are always available in your Kingdom, no matter what my circumstances are.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I like that you pray for being present...so many people seem to be asking God to be present.