Monday, April 2, 2007

the god debate


I believe in both faith and reason. The more we learn about God, the more we understand how magnificent this universe is. There is no contradiction to it. When I look at history, I would disagree with Sam: Christianity has done far more good than bad. Altruism comes out of knowing there is more than this life, that there is a sovereign God, that I am not God. We're both betting. He's betting his life that he's right. I'm betting my life that Jesus was not a liar. When we die, if he's right, I've lost nothing. If I'm right, he's lost everything. I'm not willing to make that gamble. — Rick Warren, "The God Debate," Newsweek

Rick Warren is a trendy defender of the Christian faith these days. The Christian world is not to sure what to think of that, and neither is the rest of the world. I personally appreciate Rick. Having visited his church, Saddleback, a number of times I find a reassuring level of authenticity and depth to a way of life that might appear simplistic and naive to the casual reader of The Purpose Driven Life.

In article the "The God Debate," from Newsweek, I think you'll find an intriguing exchange between Sam Harris, an evangelizing atheist, and Rick. It's a pretty fair depiction of both sides (having read numerous Christian apologetics and some of the recent atheistic works like The God Delusion and Moral Minds). I pretty much think that if you come in an atheist you'll think Sam nailed Rick, and if you come in a Christian you'll think Rick exposed Sam for he really is. Both views might be right. But Rick's final words, quoted above, should raise some flags and hard questions for anybody reading.

2 comments:

Toph said...

I found it interesting that the debate ended with those words, because Sam Harris could've ripped apart that last argument. I think "Pascal's Wager" is a pretty poor proof for Christianity - I'm not even sure it's Scriptural. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:19 that if Christ didn't resurrect, we are to be pitied more than all men. Warren says that even if Christianity is not true, it's worth the risk. I suppose it makes sense if the only other option was atheism, but what if Islam were true? Both Warren and Harris are screwed then.

Overall, I'm not sure Warren gave the strongest arguments, and fell into Harris's traps a few times. But Harris didn't say anything mind-blowing either. The basic objections against God and religion are still that it doesn't agree with science, it encourages people to do wrong, it's not well-proven, and it doesn't make sense in the light of evil in the world. I think from a Christian standpoint none of those are unanswerable, but they don't always come off very convincing to others, as seen in this debate.

Ryan said...

Great point Toph! It definitely is not an argument that specifies "Christianity" but certainly challenges the atheistic perspective growing in the US and widely accepted in Europe.