Friday, March 30, 2007

a taste of sabbath


The Sabbath comes like a caress, wiping away fear, sorrow and somber memories.

Gallantly, ceaselessly, quietly, man must fight for inner liberty . . . Inner liberty depends upon being exempt from domination of things as well as from domination of people. There are many who have acquired a high degree of political and social liberty, but only very few are not enslaved to things. This is our constant problem — how to live with people and remain free, how to live with things and remain independent.

What we are depends on what the Sabbath is to us.

Unless one learns how to relish the taste of Sabbath . . . one will be unable to enjoy the taste of eternity in the world to come.

Toph reminded me of some books on Jewish spirituality I had been meaning to read, so I picked up Abraham Heschel's The Sabbath. So far it has been an excellent preparation for the SHCC Men's Retreat this weekend. This is the first Men's Retreat I have been able to go on, and I have wanted to make the most of it. I even took Thursday off to "get ready" so I would actually be able to retreat.

Heschel's words have been refreshing as he poetically expresses theological concepts in the midst of living them out in a modern context. Since he speaks from a Jewish perspective his words seem old and haunting. They put in perspective how far man has journeyed since Sinai and the giving of Torah (most will remember this as the giving of the Ten Commandments).

The final quote above serves as a haunting reminder for those who confess faith in God. We believe in an eternity in the presence of a holy God, and we have to ask ourselves, "If we don't like spending time with God now, why would we enjoy it for eternity?"

Daily prayers, weekly services, reading of Scripture, and the people of God serve as reminders of God's call to be with him (one of the Messiah's names is Emmanuel, meaning "God with us"). As Heschel expresses, Sabbath is the culmination of all these at the end of our week. We set aside all else, for apart from God we can do nothing. However, Sabbath is really an expression of the rest of our week. God's presence is with us throughout the week, do we choose to live in the light of it?

Heading into the Men's Retreat, I have found myself scattered and avoiding "alone time" with God. I take Heschel's words to be a challenge and caution for my expectations for the weekend. There is a chance to renew and refresh in the midst of the qualities of the Sabbath.

1 comment:

Toph said...

I read a while ago from Alistair Begg about how Sunday was a time for corporate worship, and that we need to prepare for it during the week. I often find myself unable to sing words honestly ("All I do, I honor You," "If I could have anything, I would choose You," etc). But I had an excellent break today to just sit out back and worship God. It was a needed respite in order to worship through schoolwork.