Wednesday, April 25, 2007

banker to the poor - the critics


After reading most of Muhammad Yunnus' Banker to the Poor, see my previous post, I came to a realization that this guy must come under fire all the time. A passionate advocate for the poor, anyone with such determination and focus must come under criticism. So I began reading what was available online (the following are a sampling):
The Micro-Credit Cult
Microcredit, Microresults
The Myth of Grameen
Grameen Bank: Taking Capitalism to the Poor
Is Micro-Credit a Macro Trap
Microcredit Globalization Unlimited
Grameen Transforming Lives
Social and Economic Impact of Grameen and BRAC

Personally, I found the Columbia University article, Grameen Bank: Taking Capitalism to the Poor, the most helpful. I felt like this had a good balanced perspective on Yunnus' work from a business perspective (while admitting it did not try to rate the social impact). It also fills in some of the missing years from the end of Yunnus' book, published in 1999, through 2003. It also addresses some of the setbacks Grameen faced (like a religious and political boycott in 1995) that I missed reading about in the book.

My evolving thoughts are exemplified in this quote from Yunnus about how one of his colleagues use to think that "governments were the savior (of the poor)" so "he turned to the private sector." Savior is the keyword. While micro-credit is an exciting option for helping the poor rise above their way of life from a capitalistic perspective, the ultimate Savior and Hope for the world is Jesus.

I say this not as a catch all, but as balance and a personal reminder. The second most mentioned subject in the Scriptures is the poor (number one is salvation). God is a god of the oppressed, forgotten, and poor. The establishment of the Kingdom of God through Jesus will ultimately heal the systematic brokenness of ourselves, our community, and our world that allows for their to be the oppressed and needy.

5 comments:

Toph said...

Good thoughts. I think it's important to keep the perspective that helping the poor is an expression of Christianity, not an end in itself.

Stephanie said...

Thanks Ryan for sharing that. Sometimes I struggle with helping the poor. Once when delivering food to a family I was struck by the ownership of a nice TV & expanded cable channels that they were paying for. It caused me to struggle with their priorities. When does TV come before food?

My husband and I have a family member who struggles frequently with money and we often want to help her, but the choices she makes stops us. It's painful to see her making poor choices with her priorities.

How do you help without feeding their sinful management of what God has given them? I REALLY struggle with this one.

Ryan said...

I have definitely struggled with what you are talking about Steph. A verse that has REALLY challenged me is Leviticus 23:22 . . .

"'When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God.'"

This is a provision in the Mosaic law (which I guess means you can "do away" with it like most people try to do to the Mosaic Law) which I believe we can see a principle of generosity and RESPONSIBILITY for the poor. Along with the widely known "tithe" of ten percent there were also temple taxes AND governmental taxes (think the Romans in Jesus' time) that Jews paid. They sometimes even parted with up to 90 percent of their income! ON TOP OF THIS, they were called to NOT harvest all their crops so that passersby could take what they needed. Basically, in terms of today, leave part of your paycheck in cash on the sidewalk for whoever comes by. Of course some might take advantage, but others would have real need.

Now, I have not laid down cash on my sidewalk (so don't come running by my house), but I often remember this principle when I run into someone panhandling or offer food to someone who seems to make unwise decisions with their money. I believe I am called to part easily with my money on behalf of others, especially those in need (for whatever reason they have need). I don't think this gives people the freedom to take advantage of us (something to consider with your relative), so does call for wisdom on our part. In another challenging teaching (Matthew 10) about the personal sacrifices we make on behalf of the Kingdom of God and others, Jesus tells his followers "Freely you have received, freely give . . . be as shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."

On another note, I really appreciated Rob Bell's sentiment about tithing, generosity, and responsibility (we saw him at UC Berkely on his Sex God Tour). He spoke about the importance of moving people out of debt BEFORE they tithe. He even went as far to say that he believed it was his fault, corporately with his church community, that there are people in their church who cannot afford basic necessities and have fallen into debt.

I am certainly wrestling with this new idea of "responsibility" when it comes to my money, the poor, and the forgotten. I think this is all sometimes overlooked by Christians who are looking to do the "minimum entrance requirements for heaven."

Stephanie said...

I agree with all you said. You make terrific and challenging sense. thanks

I think I would have an easier time giving if it's to a program that manages money responsibly to aid the poor. I just wonder about giving to individuals. I still do give to individuals, it's just a little harder for me.

Once I met a guy at starbucks who was out of a job and was only having water. He said he was broke but just got hired and was looking forward to starting. I ended up offering to buy him a little something to nosh and drink. Maybe I sometimes need a personnal connection. Is that selfish?

Old_Guy said...

It's so hard to be completely obedient to Jesus! We're called not to judge, but to bless... yet we've been given an intellect and common sense (well most of you anyway!), and as we grow more intimate with Him, we, at least theoreticaly, become able to make choices more in line with His priorities and thoughts... But it's HARD! Sometimes the real challenge is being thoughtfully responsible to Christ, WITHOUT being pridefully dependant on Kit and his world. (Sigh!) Living IN His Kingdom in the here and now is tough...