Thursday, October 29, 2009

SOAP: loving obedience


S - "but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it proves unfruitful"... And he said to them,“Pay attention to what you hear: with the measure you use, it will be measured to you, and still more will be added to you"... And he said,“The kingdom of God is as if a man should scatter seed on the ground. He sleeps and rises night and day, and the seed sprouts and grows; he knows not how." — Mark 4:19, 24, 26-27 (ESV)

O - Jesus is framing the Kingdom of God for his new apostles. He speaks to how hearts respond to the good news. He speaks to being attentive to the word. He speaks to the work of spreading the word. There will be a number of obstacles to the fruit of the gospel, your heart is central to them. You cares and affections matter. Pay attention to your receptivity to the word. For this will help you notice whether your cares & affections are for God and his Kingdom. Spread the word faithfully, harvest when its time, and do not get caught up in the rest of the process, this is the Lord's work.

A - I'm nervous about things... Mostly money I guess. Maybe also how others perceive my life. My response to money is to ignore it. My response to others' opinions is to fret about it. I hear a call back to being anxious about God's will. Yet, also a reminder about the grace of God's work in my life. He freely has given, and I can freely obey. This frees me from anxiously obeying God in order to get something I am desiring (or anxious about). Obedience was not why God loved me or freely gave me grace. He loves me as a Beloved Son. I respond with loving obedience to a gracious and good Dad who cares for me well.

P - Lord, thank you for changing my cares and affections so I can lovingly respond in obedience. Keep up the good work. Help me not get caught up in the deceit that money will make my life okay and its all I am missing. I know I have plenty with you as my Father. So thanks for loving me Dad and taking care of me along the way.

No comments: