Saturday, October 31, 2009

SOAP: leaving behind the things of men


S - And he said this plainly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said,“Get behind me, Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” — Mark 8:32-33 (ESV)

O - Jesus spoke plainly to those who recognized him as God's promised rescuer and ruler. Even then, they did not see clearly what God was up to. They still thought in human terms about 'the good life' and 'how to get it.' The sacrifice and loss of life was unthinkable, ungodly, in their perspective. But completely necessary for their salvation. If they clung to the 'things of man' they would end up REALLY dead. But, if they willfully and deliberately died to the things of man they would REALLY live.

A - What would I have sought to rebuke Jesus about? "Surely not this my Lord!" "You've got it all wrong Jesus!" "This isn't how its suppossed to be!" How am I saying that to him now?

P - Lord you have bigger purposes than I have in mind. You are, and know, the way to life. You help us with each step of our healing and growth. You guard us from totally derailing your purposes. Help me submit to you and your way. I want to learn from you how to steward my life and leave behind the thinking and things of men.

No comments: