Sunday, October 4, 2009

SOAP: kingdom duty


S - So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.'" — Luke 17:10 (ESV)

O - Jesus challenges the love of money, religious performance, and warns of how our lives extend into eternity (resulting in the kind of eternal life which our earthly life naturally leads to). He then turns to his disciples to warn them on temptation, encourage their faith, and foster their humility. The Pharisees loved money and performance. This life led to destruction, and they took many with them. Jesus wants the disciples to acknowledge their tendencies to do the same, and cultivate faith, humility, and obedience. Anything they achieve... money, success, accolades... is simply the product of an unworthy servant following his Master. Besides, how many servants do you know with any amount of money, success, or accolades?

A - I am so tempted by religion, status, accolades, and money right now. It seems like the end of money and healthcare are upon us right now. I am uncomfortable on the "sidelines." I press to be involved. I need to learn the place of a servant. One who loves his Master and his duty in the Master's house. A good Master will care for his servant. Giving him all he needs to be faithful to the Master's will.

P - Lord, grant me faithful duty. Discipline my heart to treasure you, my good Master, above any other praise or rewards. Help me see my unworthiness, the effectiveness and glory of your Son, and graciously bless others as you have blessed me. I renounce the praise of this world and man, and choose to "do what was my duty."

No comments: