Sunday, July 26, 2009

SOAP: freedom in submission


S - So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. All power to him forever! Amen. — 1 Peter 5:6-11 (NLT)

O - There is freedom in submission. As we express our dependence upon God and wait on him we are freed from worry and cares in order to share in the glory of God. This is, as life is, a battle. But how good and freeing it is to submit yourself to a loving, gracious, and generous King. How good it is to be cared for, prayed for, and brought up by men who have been entrusted with pieces of the good King's Kingdom. It is here that the pain, toil, and struggle of daily life is transformed into a shared glory. We are not alone in this battle, we were never meant to be alone.

A - How good, and freeing, it is as a young man to be called to humble myself under God and His Elders. I hear your invitation to let godly men speak into my life, pray over me, and guide me in the next steps of my life. I confess this also seems risky. I feel burned, abandoned, disregarded by some men with similar position or title. I also confess my pride and arrogance that probably resulted in this feeling. I am thankful that you are faithful to bring me around this circle again with a new invitation to trust, forgive, and obey.

P - Lord, help me to forgive, trust, and obey. These words are far weightier than I had ever imagined. Guard my heart Jesus! The Enemy would love to devour me and cause me to stray from this path. I pray against unforgiveness, bitterness, anger, resentment, fear, and malice. Help me put on kindness, compassion, and forgiveness. This is your week Jesus. Help me hold any plans lightly, submitted to you, and your men.

No comments: