Thursday, February 14, 2008

lent: nothing


I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. – John 15:5 (ESV)

The secret – of which all nature and every person and, above all, every child of God, is to be witness – is that he is nothing but a vessel, a channel, through which the living God can manifest the riches of His wisdom, power, and goodness . . . being and doing nothing by ourselves so that God may be all. – Andrew Murray, Humility

How comfortable am I with these thoughts? Not very. Am I only as great as I am nothing?

It is as if Jesus says to me, "There is nothing more pleasing to me than man fully alive in me."

There is a sense of home and purpose in these words. While I am uncomfortable with be nothing, it feels that there is more "something" in the thoughts of being fully alive in Jesus.

May I live in the tension of these thoughts that I might find the sweet surrender of being in Jesus.

No comments: