Friday, February 15, 2008

lent: failure


Let us pray to God that the other gifts may not so satisfy us that we never grasp the fact that the absence of this grace (humility) is the secret reason why the power of God cannot do its mighty work. – Andrew Murray, Humility

How hard I try to NOT do wrong. I set my efforts and thoughts on the things I wish not to do, and I hit them every time. The day begins facing the same stumbles and my prayers focus on NOT stumbling. Instead I hear Jesus calling me to direct my thoughts and efforts towards what is good. That I might naturally do the things which are pleasing to Him.

How easily I am satisfied with the flash of the Christian life. For five months I was not able to exercise the spiritual gift I find the most satisfaction in. It was a dark time of discovery about how I entrusted my satisfaction to the success of this gift, instead of satisfaction in Christ. Now as I return to this gift, almost too much, I find the experience void of the feelings of satisfaction. There is much that blesses others, but I am left empty and even drier than when I began. I hear Jesus calling me to seek to be emptied of myself and full of Him. Emptied of the satisfaction of His works through me, that I may be more satisfied in Him.

God is never more glorified in me than when I am satisfied in Him. - John Piper

No comments: