Wednesday, February 7, 2007

the realities of heaven


So often I am driven by the thoughts, ideas, opinions, preferences, and tastes that are simply natural to me. Yet these desires, when followed, have taken me to places of darkness more than the warmth of home. I am deceived by my own being to end up where I never wanted to be in the first place. I struggle with the assurance I feel about how "I must be right" to go this way or that, but then finding out how this way is one of hiding and ruin.

The wonder of the Light of God in my life is that he leads me into the same darkness to reveal what once was good and can be good again. There is a chance to bring more than enlightenment or knowledge. There is the hope of being more, whole, holy, home. His light leads me without condemnation or fear, but with the gentle strength of knowing that I am cherished and beloved. There is more to me, to humanity, to this world, to the Divine than I could have imagined. All the great stories of humanity find a new reality in my everyday life.

So these ancient words have new meaning, new substance, new hope . . .

"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God." Colossians 3:1

"I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

One rendering changes Col. 3:1 to say "set your sights on the realities of heaven." Heaven is where God's will is always done. Here is where all that I ever needed is offered and readily available. When I am ushered into the light of Heaven I am home. However, this is not the end, for I have found my home only to be called to bring it back to the world I came from and still live in.

My prayer is that I will not be deceived by imitations of home. By following the lasting light and life of Jesus, as if he were me today, perhaps others will join me in finding what we've always been looking for.

No comments: