Wednesday, January 30, 2008

growing, little by little


I will not drive them out from before you in one year, lest the land become desolate and the wild beasts multiply against you. Little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased and possess the land.
Exodus 23:29-30

Ever grow impatient with God's process of growing you or releasing you to live and serve as you have always dreamed? I know I have.

I found encouragement from the above verse that God is faithful to release us into what we have grown ready for. If he were to completely swing open the door our character, habits, and expectations would simply lead to disappointment and attack. Jesus talks about this in regards to the Enemy and how he works:

When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none. Then it says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.' And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order. Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation.
Matthew 12:43-45

In other words, if we are freed from what has ailed us, but we do not enter ino life with God (the Kingdom) there will simply be emptiness and desolation which leaves us open for even more attack. This will leave us worse off than when we began.

Now I see Jesus leading us in victory little by little. He is growing us. Reshaping us. Transforming us. And then, when we have the character to rely on His power, we find we have travelled farther than it seems, and more and more of the life we've always wanted is ours. So it seems Jesus admonition to be faithful with little has even wider scope than simply that of service, but also in the renovation of our hearts and relationships.

While reflecting on the Exodus passage these were the questions I felt I should ask myself:

What am I waiting for God to do in my life, relationships, and ministry?

In what ways am I not ready for those things to actually happen tomorrow?

What are some of the battles I face between now and what I am waiting for?

How may these battles shape me and my dependence on God?

What am I facing this week that I need God’s help with?

No comments: