Monday, October 1, 2007

true religion


If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. - James 1:26-27

For awhile I have gone back and forth with some people about whether or not God really likes religion (Toph is of course one of them). I always came back to this verse as an argument against the modern definition of religion: "A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." (ref) I argued, vehemently at times, that God is not concerned with a set of beliefs, ritual observances, or even moral code (though clearly these are derived from a fear of God and a humble and contrite heart, Psalm 51:16-17).

I am not stepping back from this position too much, but I clearly made a mistake. I did not take into consideration what "religion" meant in the Greek 2000 years ago.

"1) fearing or worshipping God; 2) to tremble; trembling, fearful." (ref) Of course the ancients knew that "religion" was more than some set of governing beliefs or ritualistic behavior. It was, at its heart, a definition for your attitude toward and relationship with God. Is your attitude one of awe, respect, and honor towards God? Then your are religious.

James exposes that this attitude towards God will be reflected in your speech, in your actions, and in your character. A tongue that builds others up actions that join the oppressed, and a heart that remains pure in the midst of evil and brokenness are all evidence of a true heart of religion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This does not have only theoretical implications for me. As I began my new job, Family Pastor, I had a lot of ideas about how I would be spending my time. One thing that has consumed more time than I anticipated is a local Kids Club. The leaders from last year backed off, volunteers have left for different reasons, and the few that remain seem uncertain of whether or not God is calling us to this ministry. Personally, I was not planning on leading or facilitating an after school program for kids when I signed on . . .

However, I come across these verses in James, and wonder about my heart towards God and whether it is reflected in my desire to join the fatherless and be a part of their lives. I also remembered reading from Hebrews 11:25-27 . . .

(Moses) chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.

I am not saying I would be mistreated serving in Kids Club. I just connect my discomfort with it and realize this discomfort, compared to the suffering of Jewish slaves, is nothing. Moses, by faith, entered into a difficult situation because of his encounter with God. His new found respect, honor, and awe for God led him to uncomfortable places. Even before Christ was physically on the scene, it was for his sake that Moses let go of the fleeting comforts, rewards, and pleasures of Egypt.

John Piper challenged an audience about whether or not they would choose suffering for the sake of Christ and as a blessing to others. His example: if you and a brother were adopting children and two became available. Would you choose the one with significant challenges over the completely healthy one to bless your brother and choose to enter into the suffering of this child for the sake of Christ?

So, will I choose to facilitate and serve at Kids Club simply as a blessing to other brothers and sisters in Christ as well as for the sake of Christ in the lives of those kids? I am wanting to say yes. And am beginning to move out in faith. Realizing I do not have enough faith, my prayer is:

"God, help my unbelief."

2 comments:

Toph said...

I think a lot of the debate about religion is just semantics. I empathize with you on the changing meaning of words.

My discipleship group is studying James this semester, and I'm excited about that. And because I can't honestly study James without doing anything, I joined the WORK Core group. We basically go out into the community to do yard work and the like. It's definitely a great way to serve.

Ryan said...

Semantics IS the key. Sorry for not clarifying this difference sooner. Can't believe I missed it before.

We are studing James as a church. We have spent four weeks on the first 12 verses! It's crazy.