Friday, June 1, 2007

wings like a dove














My heart is in anguish within me;
the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling come upon me,
and horror overwhelms me.
And I say, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest;
yes, I would wander far away;
I would lodge in the wilderness;
Selah

But I call to God,
and the LORD will save me.
Evening and morning and at noon
I utter my complaint and moan,
and he hears my voice.
He redeems my soul in safety
from the battle that I wage,
for many are arrayed against me.
Selah

Cast your burden on the LORD,
and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
the righteous to be moved.

— Psalm 55:4-7, 16-19, 22

Haven't written in awhile, this basically expresses my last three weeks. It has been a challenge to say the least. I have been wrestling with whether or not I am content with God redeeming my soul in the midst of a battle. My focus and worry is mostly on the battle, and he seems to be mostly worried about who I am. However, I have seen him sustain me along the way. There have been continual reminders of his presence and provision and sovereignty. He is in charge. He is in control. And I am learning that if he is truly sovereign then he is right to be more concerned about who I am than what is swirling around me.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good Stuff Maynard. It's great how when you have time away from the normal everyday stuff the really deep stuff comes to the surface. Of course, being sleep deprived and adding to the family always stirs the pot. I will include you in my prayers.

Old_Guy said...

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, you need fear no evil, for the Lord who created you is with you; His rod and His staff comfort you.

He prepares a table before you in the presence of your seemingly powerful and innumerable enemies.

All the while, He anoints you head with oil and the cup of your joy overflows in the midst of it all, because He LOVES YOU more than you can fathom.

Surely His goodness and love will follow you all the days of your life, and you will dwell in His house forever -- for truly, you have already begun.

An Old Guy's interpretation of the Lord's promise to you. Be richly blessed in pain, difficulty, and sorrow, and seek His joy in your heart.