Friday, June 8, 2007

norman maclean


The problem of self-identity is not just a problem for the young. It is a problem all the time. Perhaps the problem. It should haunt old age, and when it no longer does, it should tell you that you are dead. — Norman Maclean

Found this quote on Kit Reichow's blog. I have been thinking a lot about Norman Maclean lately. I picked up the soundtrack to the movie based off of Maclean's A River Runs Through It. All three are wonderful pieces of art in their own right.

You should certainly take the time to read Maclean's book. It is one of the most beautiful stories of brotherhood, family, fishing, and searching that you will ever read. I appreciate that is an unassuming story that seems written only for a few to read and leaves behind the grand commentaries of books you read in high school and the pomp and convention of a best-seller. The writing is honest, naked, and beautifully descriptive.

Then watch Robert Redford's screen adaptation and you will find there was little work for the screenwriters and cinematographers since Maclean's writing was so straightforward and wonderful.

All three works provoke a reflection in my soul that is, in Maclean's words, haunting. There is a longing for life, love, and peace that is stirred. It is a good feeling that I enjoy revisiting and letting cause me a little unease about the direction or course of my day an life.

I am grateful for such works that do not let me get caught up in the dreariness of the calendar and that call me to stop, feel, think, and pray.

2 comments:

Toph said...

I thought A River Runs Through It was a beautifully written book. Fortunately, I have a few other stories by Maclean, which I'll get to when I have some time to relax and appreciate them.

Stephanie said...

I remember seeing that movie in the theater when Dave and I first started dating (1993).