Tuesday, December 1, 2009

advent: do you know his name


The man declares, I am weary, O God;
I am weary, O God, and worn out.
Surely I am too stupid to be a man.
I have not the understanding of a man.
I have not learned wisdom,
nor have I knowledge of the Holy One.
Who has ascended to heaven and come down?
Who has gathered the wind in his fists?
Who has wrapped up the waters in a garment?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is his son’s name?
Surely you know!

— Proverbs 30:1-4 (ESV)

I love Agur's oracle. It seems a prayer fit for my life right now, and for Christmas.

When looking honestly at his life Agur has deep questions about being a man, knowing God, and how to live. On the surface these questions are haunting to anyone. Without the hope of the incarnation (the Son of God born a man) we must distract ourselves from these questions to fake some kind of existence.

How good it is to know, by name and experience, the god-man who can answers these deep questions of the soul. He answers them not with just words, but with the power of his life lived, his death died, and the vindication of his ressurection.

So I ask you, who recognize these questions in your soul, do you know his name?

No comments: