Wednesday, November 7, 2007

yahdaw










Behold, how good and pleasant it is

when brothers dwell in unity!

It is like the precious oil on the head,
running down on the beard,

on the beard of Aaron,
running down on the collar of his robes!

It is like the dew of Hermon,
which falls on the mountains of Zion!

For there the LORD has commanded the blessing,
life forevermore. –
Psalm 133 (ESV)

Unity . . . Wholly Together . . . Joined . . . Harmony . . . Assembly . . . Undivided . . . One Mind . . . Peace . . . Community . . . YAHDAW in Hebrew.

How good and pleasant when the people of God are YAHDAW. It is like precious oil (an image of the presence of God's Spirit) overflowing on those as a crowning moment of relationship with one another and God. It is refreshing like the morning which brings new mercies and all the provisional grace we need. Living in YAHDAW is where God's blessing is commanded!

Commanded. That's a huge statement.

Do you feel on the outs? Do you feel alone? Do you feel that God is distant? Run to his people! Run and enter into YAHDAW. There his blessing is commanded. There he will be (I seem to remember something about "where two or more are gathered . . .")! There you will discover a place where his will is done. A place where his kingdom is manifest, present, tangible, experiential. There in YAHDAW.

No wonder the author of Hebrews (who I think is Paul) believed that the community of believers was so important for drawing near to God and holding on to hope:

. . . and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. – Hebrews 10:21-25 (ESV)

The author is so aware of our need to be cleansed as imperfect people, but still "requires" the pursuit of "togetherness." YAHDAW.

I find myself in a new community of believers. Initially I share nothing with them but location and the bond of Christ. Do I believe this is enough? Do I believe this is powerful enough to command God's presence, blessing, and eternal life? Will I dive in to these relationships knowing that I, along with everyone else, need cleansing and will likely hurt one another? Will I risk being uncomfortable, lonely, misunderstood, and more for the reward and promise of YAHDAW?

I wonder what stories of YAHDAW you have? When was it beautiful? When was it hard? When did you want to quit? When did God's presence cover you like oil? When did the common become a sacred moment?

Help. Your stories will sharpen and spur others and me on to pursue YAHDAW?


3 comments:

-Aaron- said...

Ah yes! Like oil flowing down Aaron's beard indeed.

Chris said...

my YAHDAW is back home. I kind of feel disconnect being here in FL. Though I know they are still there cause when I call home or talk to Robinson he cares about me enough to ask how I'm doing with God as well as just in general. I can't wait to come home. I took so much for granted before.

Stephanie said...

I'm all about community. I think God saw people hanging out together as crucial.