Friday, October 10, 2008

crammed with heaven












Earth's crammed with heaven,
and every common bush afire with God;
but only he who sees, takes off his shoes—
the rest sit around it and pluck blackberries.

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Part of this poem use to hang over the door to the youth room when I was a youth pastor. I had forgotten the expectancy these words brought to my heart. And the addition of the last line (which was not on the sign over the door) reminds me that it is so easy to live life while missing God's presence and blessing.

5 comments:

Adam Rechenmacher said...

I think the sign is still there! (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
I like that sign. :)

Adam Rechenmacher said...

Hey I just realized all of my books are on your bookshelf. lol

jaredk said...

Still is!

I love it..

Toph said...

I remember first reading that, not understanding it, and disliking it. But I was thinking of that poem the other day, and it really hits home with me. That last line is great!

Have you read the poem "God's Grandeur" by Gerard Manley Hopkins? This reminds me of it.

Chris said...

Used that sign in a talk. Still there.